Genus Paramphitrema Valkanov, 1970
Diagnosis: shell elliptical, in cross section compressed or circular, with two apertures at opposite poles, more or less ending in two tubes. Shell covered with small mineral particles. Two types of filopodia, either thin and branching or thicker with only one per pseudostome during rapid locomotion. Plasma fills the shell completely.
Type species: Paramphitrema pontica Valkanov (1970)
Ecology: marine and freshwater, algivorous.
Remarks: Further investigations are needed to clear its taxonomic status. In its behaviour and the presence of flagella-like filopodia, Paramphitrema species closely resemble Artodiscus saltans.
Species in this genus:
- Paramphitrema rhenanum (Lauterborn, 1896)
- Paramphitrema lemanense (Penard, 1903)
- Paramphitrema pontica Valkanov (1970): 35-56 µm
- Paramphitrema muelleri Kiss and Török (2009): 13-17 µm
- Paramphitrema n. sp. 10-20 µm